Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Homemade Headboard

So I've been wanting to make a headboard for our master bedroom for a couple of years now, and finally put my plans into motion.  Caleb was a little skeptical at first, but after I got the batting and fabric on the board he could finally see what I was trying to do and he even helped me with it (even though I told him I could do it myself - I think me with power tools scares him).  So, here is our headboard done and placed. 

Honestly, I'm ok with it.  There are a few things I'd like to change, but that won't happen until we move into a home of our own.  Now that I know my vision can happen, I feel more confident about making another to fit everything I want from dimensions to fabric and getting better quality wood - I went cheap on this one just in case it didn't work out well.

I wanted the headboard to add some drama to our bedroom.  We have all matching pieces in our room, but our bed is a modern platform bed with an extremely low headboard, so I just used this new one to add to it.

To make it, I purchased wood and had the guys at Lowes cut it to my pre measured dimensions.  Then I sprayed spray adhesive to one side and laid my foam on top.  This helps it not to slip around during moving under the fabric.  Next, I laid batting on top and stapled the overlap onto the other side of the board with a staple gun. 

Next came the hard part.  Ironing the fabric.  My entire living room floor was covered in the fabric for me to iron, but I kept having to do parts over because Emmy was trying to "help" the whole time.  Once I got it mostly flat, I put the board on top covering the side with the foam and batting and again stapled the excess onto the other side.  The side that you don't see in the photo is a hot mess!!

The worst was done.  I then added nailhead trim to the ends, this was tedious, but really made the headboard look put together.  Then Caleb attached legs to either side of the bottom and we placed it behind our existing headboard. 

It's not perfect, but it will do for now and it only cost about $50 (the next one will be more since I'll get better quality wood to make sure it lasts a long time).  I'm also glad that Caleb and I could do this together.  It is a small accomplishment, but every time we are in bed reading we will rest our backs on something that we built together, which is pretty priceless. 


Now to figure out what to put above the bed...hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...